Big Sean ft. Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica - Control (Kendrick Lamar's Power Move)




One day removed from arguably the release of arguably one of the hottest and most talked about verses in the past few years, the entire Internet has been buzzing. On Big Sean's "Control" track, that narrowly missed his album because of licensing issues, Kendrick Lamar spoke his piece and woke up the entire while doing so as he put Hip-Hop's hottest artists on notice. Artists such as Wale, Big K.R.I.T, Mac Miller, Jay Electronica, J. Cole, and....Drake, who is another artist that firmly believes that he is the best among this generation of rap. Here is what K. Dot had to say in his gritty and hungry voice:

"I heard the barbershops spittin' great debates all the time

Bout who's the best MC? Kendrick, Jigga and Nas

Eminem, Andre 3000, the rest of y'all
New niggas just new niggas, don't get involved
And I ain't rockin no more designer shit
White T’s and Nike Cortez, this is red Corvettes anonymous
I'm usually homeboys with the same niggas I'm rhymin' wit
But this is hip hop and them niggas should know what time it is
And that goes for Jermaine Cole, Big KRIT, Wale
Pusha T, Meek Millz, A$AP Rocky, Drake 
Big Sean, Jay Electron', Tyler, Mac Miller

I got love for you all but I'm tryna murder you niggas

Tryna make sure your core fans never heard of you niggas
They dont wanna hear not one more noun or verb from you niggas
What is competition? I'm tryna raise the bar high
Who tryna jump and get it? You better off tryna skydive
Out the exit window of 5 G5’s with 5 grand
With your granddad as the pilot he drunk as fuck tryna land
With the hand full of arthritis and a popping prosthetic leg
Bumpin Pac in the cockpit so the shit that pops in his head
Is an option of violence, someone heard the stewardess said
That your parachute is a latex condom hooked to a dread"

As malicious as this sounds, it doesn't appear that this portion of his verse is a diss to any of these rappers. It seems that it is more-so a fair warning to his rap peers. It is as if he is saying, "I think I am better than you, and the only way to prove otherwise is to drop some heat because this verse put you in a position to where you have to do so. If you don't, I am right, and everyone else will gradually agree." Smart move, Kendrick. Because of you, we may begin to see the competition and drive that Hip-Hop has been missing. He is forcing other artists to make better music by issuing the challenge. This could be the beginning of something good for the genre. As a result, no one should be maddened by this, but motivated. However, New York rappers should be hotter than Satan on a tanning bed with a mink coat on and a mild fever. Kendrick must be trying to bring the 90s back.

"I'm important like the pope, I'm a muslim on pork

I'm Makaveli's offspring, I'm the king of New York

King of the Coast, one hand, I juggle them both
The juggernaut's all in your jugular, you take me for jokes"

Yikes. The king of New York? Kendrick is from Compton.


All in all, one could only hope that this sparks a wave of above-par music in Hip-Hop. I'm sure every rapper in the industry is searching for their studio keys as I write and you read. Kendrick has planted a seed in the minds of listeners that he is The One. It's up to everyone else to make their own case. As for Drake, I am eager to hear what he has to say (If he says anything), being that he feels as if he is the leader of the new school. Personally, I believe that Kendrick Lamar and Drake are the two individuals in the new school that will be legends in the future, whether you like them or not. They both have an undeniable grip on the rap game. Let's see where this takes us.


PS: Condolences to the great and mysterious Jay Electronica for having to follow up after Kendrick's verse. You're still great, though.


Follow a young black man striving for success @CjayTheGreat on Twitter. I'm nice. Out.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Hip Hop Have Labels? Conscious VS Trap

Drake and Future What a Time to Be Alive Review

Single Life, Relationship, or Situationship ? #30DayBlogChallenge