Top 10 Rap Albums of 2012



You should have already know that I was bound to make one of these lists. This list is a list of the top 10 hip-hop albums of 2012. Some of you didn't even know that 10 hip-hop albums dropped this year. Nonetheless, we have had a lot of great albums drop this year, known and unknown, so without further adieu, here's my top 10.


(Let me start by saying that I have not heard The Game's album yet, or Blu's album.)


10. God Forgives, I Don't (Rick Ross)

 Rick Ross God Forgives I Dont
Favorite tracks: "Sixteen""Presidential", and "Hold Me Back"



I know you're starting to take this post less and less serious, but just relax and be open-minded. This album was actually decent. album. We got to hear a mixture of his mob boss-esque rap and his hype, trappish music. Good combo. I can just imagine Omarion dancing down the tracklist as we speak. I'm proud of this album because two strokes couldn't hold this nigga back from dropping a nice album. Some may argue that it was trash, but those people might be hip-hop headed hipsters. Nothing that isn't lyrical is good to them. Rick Ross provides that balance, and we thank you for that, pimp.


9. Dreams and Nightmares (Meek Mill)

  
Favorite tracks: "Amen" and "The Intro"

It would be beyond cliche to get on here and talk about Meek's manifestation of anger through his vocals, so I won't. Nonetheless, "Dreams and Nightmares" was a solid album. It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't anything out of the ordinary for him. I was expecting Meek to come with something different, but instead, he made an album full of songs that sounded like everything else he's put out. I do like how he showed two sides of himself in this album though. You can see the two sides he manifested in the cover art. You can also hear it in the album. You can hear the struggle of making it through his life, and you can hear the triumph. I can respect that, which is why I can respect this album.





8. Reloaded. (Roc Marciano)
Favorite tracks: "76" and "Emeralds"

Definitely not one of the most known albums of the year, but it's definitely a sleeper. Although he reminds me of my least favorite rapper (Curren$y the lullaby rapper), he's still nice on the mic. His album includes production from the Alchemist, Q-Tip, and mainly himself. The album is pretty consistent throughout. If one would call it boring, it would completely understand, however. Nevertheless, the album is very chill and laid back with a hint of lyrical braggadocio. It took me a few listens to get hip to it though. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.




7. The Idea of Beautiful (Rapsody)



 
Favorite track: "Non-Fiction"

I like this album because it's been a looong time since I've seen a female rapper with rapping skills like Rapsody. This girl has BARS. It's disrespectful to put Nicki Minaj and Rapso...never mind. Point is, when you turn on this album, the bars captivate you. Also, she knows how to tell her own story in a way that will make you feel what she feels (mostly if you're a female). The album might get a little stale throughout, but for the most part, it's cool. Can't have TOO much lyricism and nothing else, ya know? Nonetheless, we need more female emcees like Rapsody in the game. 


6. Cruel Summer (G.O.O.D Music)

File:CruelSummercover.jpg
Favorite tracks: "Sin City", "One", and "Clique"

Had I made this post a couple of months ago, this might have been in my top three, but this album is an album that will not stick. Some albums have that replay value over a lengthy time period. Not this one. Outside of that, I really rocks with this album. I must admit, I was skeptical when the album opened with R. Kelly screaming loud as hell. Kanye also spat one of the worst lines I've ever heard in my life, "R. Kelly and the God rap shitting on youholy crap". I guess that's cool though. The rest of the album is very balanced as far as the types of music on it. Kanye West is really a genius for putting together 

the squad that he did when he thought of G.O.O.D Music. That paid off on this album.




5. Life is Good (NaS)
Favorite tracks: "You Wouldn't Understand" and "Cherry Wine"

There's a reason why this niggas has been rapping for roughly 20 years and is still dropping gold albums. It's a reason this album was a #1 album this year on the billboard. This album has been debated to be a classic album. No one is bold enough to compare it with Illmatic, though. Nonetheless (I say that too much), this album was far above average. He made black men actually care about their children with the song "Daughters" and brought Amy Winehouse back from the dead with my favorite song on the album, "Cherry Wine". As expected, this album offered great lyricism. It's Nas nigga, of course it did. Also, he had decent hooks with good song quality. Debatably the album of the year.

4. A Dream Deferred (Skyzoo)
Favorite track: "Pockets Full"
Bruh's face is mad chubby. This album is another one of the lesser known albums of the year also. However, it's a great album. If you're looking for club bangers, don't even keep reading. This album is mostly lyrical, but his lyricism reeeally makes up for the lack of variety. Why? Because you're gonna spend most of your time trying to figure out what he just said. He will actually tell you in his bar that you won't catch what he said until waaay later. That's when you get pissed and feel challenged. He really might be lyrical that the person before him on this list. Yeah, I'm bold enough to say it. Check it out for yourself.

3. Control System (Ab-Soul)
Favorite tracks: "Empathy", "Lust Demons", "Bohemian Grove", and Mixed Emotions

I initially thought this album was gonna be full of conspiracy theories and songs about the government. I was kind of right, but wrong at the same time. Soulo really blew me away with his creativity and versatility on this album. You can feel him rapping from the soul if you listen to songs like "Rebel" and "Book of Soul". He also brings swag to conscious rap with songs like "Terrorist Threats". Finally, he can make a lil' fun song about drinking with "Mixed Emotions". It doesn't end there, but I don't wanna talk your ear off. Nonetheless (I said it again), this album really could be the album of the year. I swear. Forget number 3, but it doesn't work like that.

2. Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album pt. 1 (Lupe Fiasco)
Favorite tracks: "Hood Now", "Brave Heart", "Lamborghini Angels", "Around My Way"

I'm kind of mad that he really has an all black album cover and scored a Grammy nomination. That makes it seem so effortless to be successful in the rap game. However, this album is nothing less than great. I can pretty much play it all the way through and enjoy every song. To add to that, the album has 17 tracks on it. Most rappers have somewhere from 12-15 tracks on their album. Even then, it's hard to keep the listener's attention. Lupe Kept my attention through 17 songs. Salute, man. Salute.

1. Good Kid, m.A.A.d City
Favorite tracks: "Money Trees", "Good Kid", "m.A.A.d City", "B***h, Don't Kill My Vibe"

There's no way in the world you didn't expect this to have the number one spot. He's not number one because he's my favorite artist, but because this album is just...greatness. Of course there are gonna be people that want to disagree just because Kendrick is getting popular. As a result, people want to be different and say that he's overrated. Fine. You will not deny that this album may quite well may be a classic. Upon release, people were comparing it to Illmatic. Unfortunately for many, people can't recognize a classic when they see it. They'd rather look for how it's overrated. Anyway, the album is literally a story of Kendrick Lamar's life from the beginning to the end of the album. Not only did Kendrick paint his picture more vividly than most of the albums we've ever seen, each song has great song quality. (Except "Real"). Each song delivers a message. Finally, each beat perfectly matches the story he's telling in each song. There's no way around it, this album has definitely earned the title of "Album of the Year". Fight Me.

If you agree or disagree, take it to my comment box. 

Also, follow the LiveL!VE Twitter page @LiveLIVELLC

--@CjayTheGreat

--Cjay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Hip Hop Have Labels? Conscious VS Trap

Drake and Future What a Time to Be Alive Review

Single Life, Relationship, or Situationship ? #30DayBlogChallenge